Tuesday, April 14, 2020

Portfolio Project Reflection

This has been a long journey.

Since the beginning of the year, when our portfolio project was introduced, I had been wondering what my film opening was going to be about. I knew that I had a stressful year ahead of me, and I thought realistically about my film skills. I knew I had to pick something that was right for me and my situation.

In February, when it was time to start pre-production for our projects, I wanted my film opening to be silent! To be honest, I was considering this option because then I wouldn't have to worry about audio. I'm glad I switched it up, though! I remember sitting on the floor of my room self-reflecting so I could come up with an idea that mattered to me. I filmed a video where I talked to myself to brainstorm, and I came to an idea that was similar (similar, not identical) to an experience I had in middle school.

And then...the Coronavirus pandemic happened. Some time in March, my actors and I met up to film. This was before things became scarier and drastic, so we weren't too worried about going outside to film. After that filming day, when I started editing, I absolutely hated what was on my timeline...and it was only 40 seconds. I had two options: try to refilm with my actors or come up with a completely new idea. I tried getting them together, but they were wary about going outside and I didn't want to make them uncomfortable. The virus outbreak had become more serious, and the last thing I wanted was to put them in danger, so I eliminated my original idea. This was after my entire TV production team and I flew up to Washington D.C. for a national competition, which got canceled our second day of being there. And with school being canceled too, I had to pick up the slack!

It took some time to come up with a fresh idea and plan how I'd be able to pull it off. I'm really grateful for my family because when I asked them to act for me none of them hesitated. Granted, it was frustrating at times to direct because they don't know any terminology or anything, but we managed to pull through! I've been through the filming and editing process before, so it wasn't a new experience for me. I only wish I could have used better equipment, but that doesn't necessarily matter for this project! It's all about the story. When I had my new idea, I tried to incorporate aspects that mattered, like Hispanic representation, post-modernistic ideals, etc. I was going for a Deadpool vibe :)

Anyway, this project has definitely shown me a lot. Film may not be my forte, but I was able to create a project I like all by myself! The whole process of creating this project was definitely as difficult as I thought it would be.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Creative Critical Reflection

This is my last post for this portfolio project! I'm very relieved, but also sad. I spent all day working on this video, and I hope you ...