Friday, April 10, 2020

It's Done...

It's done!!!

It is done!!!

Complete, exported, ready to go...it is done.

I finally finished editing my film opening! I've had to export 8 times! My Premiere Pro timeline was very clustered, so I decided to export a rough cut, then a color grade cut, and then the final cut with all necessary title graphics. So I had 3 exported videos, but then I decided to change my opening sequence.

In my original cut, I had my opening shot of Chris riding on his skateboard with a bloodied shirt and a knife. I had put multiple audio tracks of a heart beating, ear ringing, and a slow dramatic song playing very faintly in the background. However, I realized once I watched my final cut that I had totally missed what I was aiming for! I wanted to incorporate crude humor, and the purpose of this opening sequence is to show Chris's character as a desensitized, chill teenage hitman! So I switched out all the audio tracks for a song that I was going to use for my previous idea.

I also edited my opening to fit in a 4:3 aspect ratio, like good ol' films! This was for aesthetic and stylistic purposes, but I did some research on why 4:3 aspect ratio for films are coming back into the media world. This article breaks it down like this:

"The 4:3 format can help the portrayal of your characters’ motivations, keeping the audience close to your actors. It’s all about aesthetics and intention. Like any artistic decision, intentionality is always the backbone, but we’re talking about literally creating a movie that is unavoidably different-looking. You know immediately that the film is in 4:3, even if you’re not super familiar with aspect ratios and film formats. You just know something looks different about the screen. The 4:3 format could just be a product of the growing accessibility and popularity of filmmaking. Everyone’s got a camera on their phone, and other models are easily available on the market, so anyone can shoot something. That means there’s a lot of content out there, and 4:3 is just another way to stand out."

American Honey (2016)
I'm going to upload my film opening in the next blog post, so be on the lookout!! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Creative Critical Reflection

This is my last post for this portfolio project! I'm very relieved, but also sad. I spent all day working on this video, and I hope you ...