Thursday, February 20, 2020

Silent Film?

I'm thinking of making my project an opening for a silent film...



I think silent films are really powerful, and it's challenging to tell a story and produce the right tone and mood without audible dialogue. A really good silent film has a story that speaks volumes. With my film opening, I really want it to be filled with emotion, to the point where it's overwhelming. I want to try to mimic how I feel right now. I've been dealing with a lot of things lately. I want to express myself. The other day in class, I was going through my head trying to think of any ideas to make my film opening stand out. We were about to leave class, the bell was going to ring in 1 minute. But the idea to make my project a silent film opening popped into my head and I had to note it down.

I know that silent films are not as popular nowadays, not many of them are being produced or receiving awards at the Oscars...but, I think a silent film will really test my storytelling and production skills. I think it will teach me a lot, and I want to be able to incorporate aesthetic, symbolic visuals because that's my style. I think I could have fun with it, too.

I'm a part of my high school's TV production program, and every year we participate in competitions. We compete with the Student Television Network, which is a national competition. Last year, my friends competed in the Silent Film category. I could get some pointers from one of them. For now,

I researched tips for making a good silent film, and I found some helpful pointers:

ACTING: The actors play a big role in correctly portraying the story, using their body language and facial expressions to do so. Since there is no dialogue, it'll be difficult to effectively depict the storyline without something being lost in translation.
STORY: The story is told through visuals, so prepare, prepare, prepare. Be detail-oriented and carefully plan out the story.
TECHNIQUES: Because the visuals are what illustrate the entire story, think heavily about camera shots and angles, color, camera movement, locations, lighting...
MUSIC: Instrumental background music can complement the aesthetic visuals of the film, but choose carefully.







No comments:

Post a Comment

Creative Critical Reflection

This is my last post for this portfolio project! I'm very relieved, but also sad. I spent all day working on this video, and I hope you ...