Wednesday, March 25, 2020

Moonstone Productions

This is the logo I made for my production company, Moonstone Productions! I'm planning on filming this week, so I thought I would spend some time working on other parts of my film opening. 

I went through this compilation on YouTube of various production companies' animated logos from the 1980s for inspiration. I also looked on Giphy because I see retro GIFs on Twitter a lot, so I thought I could source my ideas from the site. 

I'm personally a fan of retro film, the style and aesthetic of it all. The retro 70s to 90s style is making a comeback in modern media. This article published in November 2019 explains that "cinematographers have been looking for ways to add convincing grain to get the feel of film" ever since digital cameras have become the standard for television, cinema, and video production. In everyday culture, the retro film aesthetic has captured the attention of all types of creators, from a photographer to a videographer. I know this because I see this with my own eyes every day on social media...and also I can basically describing myself. I'm just a retro film enthusiast. All my work and projects reflect that style if I'm being honest!

While on my quest for inspiration and ideas, I found these GIFs that spoke to me. I've attached them below.
I honestly fell in love with these specific GIFs for reasons I cannot explain, to be honest. So, I went to good ol' YouTube and searched up tutorials on retro logo animation. I found this tutorial that was perfect for helping me recreate the GIFs above! 

Since I have experience editing with Adobe software, I searched for a tutorial using Adobe After Effects. I actually have never used After Effects before, but I'm experienced in Adobe Premiere Pro and Adobe Photoshop, and I've always wanted to learn how to edit in After Effects! 

I followed the tutorial and created the grid and animation for the text, then I imported it into Premiere Pro where I edited the logo to resemble the VHS look! I'm honestly in love with how it came out. I came up with the name "Moonstone Productions" because it is one of my birthstones! #JuneBaby

Later this week, I am planning to do more research in order to solidify my film opening. Talk to you soon! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Creative Critical Reflection

This is my last post for this portfolio project! I'm very relieved, but also sad. I spent all day working on this video, and I hope you ...